Friday, May 30, 2008

Manhattan

Every time that I log into this account I get all sheepish, typing in my login slash e-mail whatever rocknrollanoah. It's a holdover from older times, you know, and though I've grown very attached to it I sometimes wonder what people think looking at it.

Finally got around to watching Manhattan tonight. I'm absolutely in love with Woody Allen movies, at least the movies from his earlier period (forgive him his later period work, I beg you); the dialogue is just so tight and witty and it has that completely unrealistic quality of reality that really only exists in movies. Watching Woody Allen and Diane Keaton fall in love on screen is always so exciting- they have a very unique chemistry that makes me one hundred percent okay with them having their relationship over a whole slew of films.

The soundtrack was phenomenal, Gershwin throughout. Usually I'm not the sort that would even discuss the soundtrack but recently I've found myself listening more- maybe I'm getting better at watching movies.

The girl who plays Tracy in the movie, no one big, just, you know, Mariel Hemingway. It's strange though, women in movies I mean; Mariel Hemingway became really quite attractive but at the age of something young that she was for Manhattan she's a sort of face you don't see in movies anymore. Like Shelley Duvall, a good actress with a very unique look, attractive on some level that is definitely not the mainstream. It's disheartening. Today I look at movies and I see woman all in some degree of the popular aesthetic and I can't help but wonder where all the original actors went.

God bless Laura Linney, I guess.

yours,
Noah J.

No comments: